Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Introduction

So my idea for this blog is that it will be a place where I can bring together the topics I'm most passionate about, namely veganism, writing and queerness and talk about how the three things intersect, and how they conflict. I will probably talk about them seperately from time to time as well. As a writer who dreams of writing and publishing gay male erotic romances (also known as M/M), I am particularly interested in ways in which a consciousness of the personhood of animals can be woven into mainstream literature without necessarily producing "animal rights" literature per se.

I believe that in the future this will be considered as simply part of a writer's moral responsibility to his or her audience. Just as writers today are generally expected to present rape, murder, sexism, torture, racism, homophobia, child abuse etc. as issues of moral concern, I hope that one day it will also be seen as a matter of moral concern when two characters sit down to feast on the flesh or bodily secretions of a tortured animal. Part of what I seek to do as a writer is to present our commonplace torture and killing of animals as a morally significant issue, and to provoke readers to think about it, but to do so without preaching at them or at the expense of telling a good story.

A part of me wonders if this is even possible in a society where exploting animals is as "normal" to most people as breathing air or drinking water, but I feel a moral duty to try. And really where it comes down to it, that's the main gist of what I want this blog to be about.

0 comments:

Post a Comment